Monday, November 2, 2009

The Story of Jack! (and Jackie-O)

A couple of weeks ago my dear friend Megan showed me a cute picture on the cover of her Family Circle Magazine. It was a picture of a pumpkin cake! I thought it was adorable so I said, "let's make one!" Funny thing is, I had never made a cake from scratch. I was really just half joking. (and scared at the thought of making a REAL cake) I am usually the person that gets a cake mix adds the eggs and water, and calls it good. Megan however...is very much NOT! She is like the baking queen!

We went to Sam's, bought all of the ingredients that we needed and waited til Wednesday to bake the cakes. DO you know how hard it is to find pumpkin this time of year! we went to several different stores to find a few cans of pumpkin!!! ahhhhh but Megan found some!! YAY!!

The recipe calls for a small Pyrex bowl, but we wanted to make the cake bigger so we used bigger bowls (and added in some of our own ingredients)...and each cake to over and hour to bake!! (we got smart and decided to go running while the cakes were baking!!) We let them cool Wednesday night. Thursday came and we made cream cheese frosting, (Ummm yummm! I could eat a whole bowl of that stuff!!) We used it to stick the two half circle cakes together to form our pumpkins...then we colored the rest of it orange and iced our cakes to look like basketballs... then, for what seemed to be hours, after sorting a bag of reese's pieces, we put them on...ONE-by-ONE to cover the entire cake to look like a pumpkin!! (good thing we had Vampire Diaries to keep us entertained!) I finished faster than Megan cuz I just started getting restless... if you know me, you know I canNOT do the same thing for more than like 15 minutes. Megan however is a perfetionist and well took longer. :) so I took all the reese's and we had to get more from the store at like 10pm... it could have been because I used them all... or I couldn't stop eating them! I LOOOOVE sugar more than any other food!!! Next year... I think everyone should make these cutie pie cakes!

OH YEAH! I almost forgot... then I saw these super cute owls in my Southern Living Magazine and thought I just had to make some! The cookie I am holding is a chocolate moon pie that you use candies to turn it into an owl! Soooo fun!

And I made Jack, Megan made Jacki-O! they were soooo yummmmmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment